Friday, November 20, 2015

The "Yes, I am sure" reflections.

Hello,

You know how in life there is ALWAYS all kind of people surrounding you, no matter where you go, that's just part of life in society. 
By this, I mean there is always the kind of people who makes questions about your decisions because they care about you and there's the kind of people who makes questions about them because they just want to know to gossip about it as soon as you turn around. I am very thankful to realize most of the people around me care about us and ask questions because they want the best not only for me but also for Joe as the couple we are and family we are about to be; so when they ask them,  I don't even get upset,  I just have the very same answer. 

> Isn't our culture very different to his? 
Yes, we come from very different cultures, we are not only an international couple, we are also different races, our families and communities are very different. I like things he doesn't like and vice-versa. But for one, our hearts matched and it's what matters and for two, our differences makes us special, we had to figure out if we were willing to live with those differences and if we are together as a couple soon to marry, it is because we said yes to that. I am sure there are gonna be aspects of our lives and temper that we will have to change or moderate at some points of our lives, but that is what life is about. So yes, I am sure. 



> How much time did you actually date? 
Enough, we have even lived together before. The time we spent together before I came back to Mexico was maybe short compared to what Mexican society is used to (couples normally date for at least one year before getting married, less than that is really rare).  We started formally dating in December 2013 and I came back to Mexico in June 2014 so we dated for 6 months before this turned into a long distance relationship.  But when you go through the things we did in a very shot period of time, you get to discover a level of connection that even after one year and a half of long distance relationship love stays alive and strong enough to wait for a very long immigration process to finally be together.  So yes,  I am sure.  

> Aren't you gonna miss your family?  
Yes,  I will.  But I'm not gonna live at my mom's forever.  For people who knows me,  knows that my life goals were never stay at my home town.  Sure I never thought I was gonna live in another country but again,  I would not do it if it wasn't for someone who I truly love and who's company makes me really happy.  Also,  being able to see my family having the chance to come and go to/from Mexico is the reason why I had to come back in the first place,  to avoid being undocumented in the U.S. The way I see it,  we have made a big effort to make things right.  So yes,  I am sure. 


> Being an interracial couple both from minorities in América, aren't you afraid of racism?  
I have always been a person who believes. I believe in good people, I believe that even people who made mistakes in the past can change.  I believe it because I have made mistakes and I have changed.  I believe that the U.S. has many good people, just as Mexico does. I believe God will put great hearts in our paths. I bet we will face challenges for many reasons, but things like that would happen no matter where we are,  and I know I'm a strong person, just as Joe is and we can take shit. It doesn't consern me.  But for those in our way who aren't as nice,  we will be glad to shut some mouths,  so yes,  I am sure.

> Why start a relationship that you knew was going to be super hard?
Sorry I didn't know relationships could be easy.  Like seriously,  no matter if you're in a long distance or not,  each couple has their own struggles for many different reasons.  Life it self isn't easy and yes,  maybe both of us could have save a bunch of problems by not dating in the first place,  but we would not have meet the joy and happiness we have experienced so far and the many more about to come when we finally close the distance.  So I don't know, I don't care and YES!!  I am sure!

If you are going through a process like ours,  you have probably experienced some of this questions and maybe more.  The only advice I could give you is take things from who they come from.  Haters' opinion might be hard to hear but easy to forget.  If the people who love you ask and say it's because I they care and in that case,  forgive;  they'll realize when things fall into place.


Thanks a lot for reading.

-Kar

No comments:

Post a Comment